December 21, 2009

Undo

Hearing some noises and comments of frustration, I asked my office mate what was challenging her. "I just get so frustrated," she said. "I accidentally deleted what I was working on. I don't even know how I did it and now I have to start all over." I asked if the undo button wasn't working. "The undo button?" Learning about the undo button changed her life. All the time she had wasted fixing and redoing when she could have just clicked undo. And, so I think, what if there was an "undo" for life's mistakes--life's choices?

For the small stuff, there may be some discomfort--an apology, a return trip to the store "no, there's nothing wrong with it. I just changed my mind." But, what about the big stuff? What about when you make a choice in life only to find out that it wasn't the right one? In the scheme of life, our big decisions are rarely made in a vacuum. Your buying a house may effect the seller buying another house from another seller and so on. Your taking a job affects the next best candidate. Your not taking a job opens up an opportunity for another person. We are all interconnected and there is no simple undo with so many involved.

So, we are left with some oft used expressions--suck it up, move on, get over it. Easy words, yet so difficult to do. And, all the while we'll be pining for an undo.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the unavailability of the "undo" creates the time for us to be available for unseen opportunties and possibilities down the rode....."There is a season....." 2010--look ahead....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. My time for self-pity is over. It's a new year and time for me to pour myself into the wonderful people and blessings in my life. Moving on...

    ReplyDelete