February 28, 2010

I would totally marry George Jetson...if I could have a robot maid

When I was a kid The Jetsons were a staple of our TV viewing. Maybe it's my lazy alter-ego, but there was just something incredible about having a robot maid do your work for you, robotic arms bursting through the wall to do anything you didn't feel like doing [just can't reach that itchy spot on my back--why, thank you robot arm!]. Or, the air tube that zoomed you from one place to the next and the chair that carried you anywhere you didn't care to walk yourself. Aaagh, a girl can dream, right?

I'm sitting here thinking I should go to bed. But, my body is resisting. In my head, I understand the consequences of staying up late. When I wake up groggy and irritable in the morning, I'll berate myself for my irresponsibility. But, I just can't will my body to get up and do all the "stuff" that getting ready for bed entails. If it were only as simple as getting into bed and falling asleep. Before I go to bed I still have to...switch loads of laundry, fold the dry load, turn on the dishwasher, turn off all the lights, lock the doors, tidy up along the way, brush my teeth, put on pjs, write a teacher note for one kid, write a check for sports and prepare to mail, search the house for scattered library items to return tomorrow, and on, and on, and on. From the comfort of the couch, these things seem monumental. Sitting here is so relaxing. I have an endless supply of programming available on cable. I've got a drink, a warm blanket, the world at my fingertips on the computer, and my phone...I'd say I'm good...for, oh, the next week or more.

So, what puts us over the edge toward movement? What gives us the momentum we need to change direction or move forward? Maybe it's the reward--a warm and cozy bed, well deserved rest? I'm thinking that's what will do it for me. I'm going to admit something to you...just between you and me...I actually make an audible moan of pleasure getting into bed. Sounds creepy, right? I know. But, oh, the feeling that you are done for the day; that, even though there may be dirty dishes in the sink, laundry sitting wet in the washer, and a myriad of other tasks still on the list, it's over and I can finally let go. It's truly the most selfish thing I do every day...setting everything aside to do something for myself--sleep.

So, what's holding me back? If I love my bed and sleep so much why can't I just get moving? It's calling me..can you hear it? "Come to bed...get some rest." Instead, here I sit...can't will myself to move. Maybe if I roll there? Anyone out there willing to come and carry me? Now that I think of it, this couch is looking inviting. If I just fall over on my side I'll be in a perfect position to sleep. A blanket, pillow, couch...even an alarm on my phone...no need to even get up!

Okay, feet planted on the floor...quadriceps tightened...forward momentum with my upper body...and, I did it! I'm up! Now, if only that mechanical chair and robotic maid were here to take care of the rest.

2 comments:

  1. The audible sound of pleasure when you finally get to bed---I hear ya'

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too...my bed is so comfy that I audibly groan when I get in. there's no bed warmer, no electric blankie, no electric mattress pad...just me, my comfy pillows, the mattress, and the blankets over my head, holding in the warmth, waiting for the heat to work its way down to my feet...then I am free to get situated on my side and drift away. This all takes about 45 seconds...no time to waste once you get into bed...to sleep, perchance to dream...zzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete