February 14, 2010

Let the lovin' commence!

That ooey-gooey day of love has reared it's hot-blooded head again. And, as with all major holidays, it's a good time to reflect on Valentine's past, present, and future...think A Christmas Carol for cupid.

The many-years-ago past: My 6th grade boyfriend (I know, I know...I was an early bloomer and I use the word "boyfriend" loosely) gave me the art project we were supposed to give to our parents. It was layers of red construction paper hearts glued together about an inch high and 2.5 inches around, and shellacked to a shiny finish. He had written "I love you" on it. It was so sweet and I still have it to this day. Let's keep this our secret...wouldn't want my husband to be jealous of my 25 year old "relationship."

Forward a few years: Receiving 6 red carnations through my high school's Valentine fundraiser was a shocker. (I, apparently, had dated enough in middle school as I didn't date in high school.) They were signed "A Secret Friend" whom I later found to be one of my great guy friends. Notice, I don't say boyfriend. We never ended up dating after that...not sure why. So sweet and this year he's enjoying his first Valentine's as a "spouse" with the woman of his dreams...so happy for him.

Early College: My dear friend (and roommate) and I were consummate downers regarding Valentine's. We claimed it as our very own Black [insert day of the week] regardless of the day it landed on. No, not the day you go shopping...broke college students don't go shopping! We wore black and ate ALL day. It was all about the food. Because, food IS love, right?? And, it just happened that my yearly doctor visit happened around Valentine's Day. I can still recall the same nurse every year making the same bad joke--"Happy V-D day." Yes, it was that kind of doctor visit.

Late College: I had finally snagged the man of my dreams. Apparently, I went to college for my MRS. degree [insert pathetic laugh here]. My honey proposed to me on Valentine's Day at the edge of Lake Michigan in the freezing cold. We couldn't see the lake because of the fog, but it was still very sweet. I skipped all my classes that day and watched all the proposals and surprise weddings on Oprah [insert tears here]. Quite a change from the Black Friday of a few year's earlier.And, just the beginning of a series of romantic dinners, gifts, jewelry, flowers, cards. I know...disgustingly sweet.

Now: After 13 years of marriage, our V-Day has been relegated to..."Honey Dear Love of My Life, are we doing gifts this year?" [crossing fingers for a "no"] and, then..."Sorry, Sweety-Pie Highlight of My Life, I didn't get you anything." [uncross fingers, sigh of relief--dodged another one]. Okay, sans the gooey names...it really has come to this! Instead of a romantic dinner at a posh restaurant, we're meeting friends for a movie (with all of our kids) and then getting pizza afterward. It will not be the romantic evenings of our younger marriage, but great fun, nonetheless.

The Future: Who knows? Guessing the gift situation will remain giftless as we begin repaying student loans soon and my spouse begins racking up his own student loans as he starts schooling of his own. But, like Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, we've learned through the past and present that it's not about what you receive, it's about what you are able to give. And, we both have lots of love to give...no, potty-mind, not that kind of love.

My challenge to you on this ooey-gooey day of loving is to love the person closest to you with all you have to offer. Whether it's your child, your spouse, your parent, your neighbor, or, most importantly, yourself. Celebrate this day as it should be...full of love, admiration, respect, caring, and faith in the world and each other.

1 comment:

  1. Laura - the eldest sister of youFebruary 17, 2010 at 10:12 PM

    Black Friday.... (Sunday, this year)You are a really great writer.. i love reading your blogs..Thank you

    ReplyDelete