January 4, 2010

It can be wacky being a grown-up

I re-read my first blog post the other day. Wow, I really am wackadoo. But, more importantly, I came away from it feeling like I need to refocus. The wackadoo world we live in is supposed to be fun and light-hearted. Instead, the wackadoo world has gotten kind of serious and adult-like. I admit the past few months were intense. I was very busy with school and work and was hit in the heart with some serious life-altering realizations. But, I let them muddy up the great parts of life.

What I realize is that being an adult can be pretty sucky sometimes. A young person I know was in a really big hurry to grow up. She graduated from high school a semester early in an attempt to be an adult. She so wanted to move into the world...I think it was more of that youthful "I can't wait to do whatever I want to do" idea of what adulthood means. I kept telling her that adulthood is difficult; there are responsibilities. From her perspective it was all about staying up all night, hanging with friends, playing video games all day instead of going to class. This was her idea of adulthood. Even for an 18-year old this seems pretty naive.

As my blog posts moved away from the silliness of life and into the seriousness of life, I've been considering...what is adulthood? When did I cross the threshold? Have I, yet?

What I've deduced is that, while I'm still evolving, I'm constantly being thrust into adult-like situations but still yearning to recapture some of the "youth" I feel I missed growing up. Adulthood is not an age so much as it is actions or thoughts that put your own needs behind the needs of those who depend on you or those that are vested in your life...children, siblings, colleagues, parents. Choosing a path in life because it is in the best interest of your family is an adult behavior. Graduating from school early to live off your parent so that you can hang with your friends all night and sleep all day is slacker youth behavior.

I say this and it sounds judgmental. It is. It also sounds like being adult is a superior state of being. It isn't. I already stated that being an adult can be sucky. It's true. There are some days I lay in bed overwhelmed with the day ahead of me...a day packed with school, kids, work, laundry, bills. But, then I throw off the covers and roll out of bed knowing that the world may be packed with to-do lists but they are mine to handle as I may. Some days that means I get a little adult-serious. But, most often, I take them in stride knowing that life is short and adult-serious gets boring really fast. I have learned over the past few months that I can be responsible and a little wacky in the process...okay, a LOT wacky.

2 comments:

  1. Well put! Yep, I agree, adult serious DOES get boring... But, even though I HATE paying bills and washing yet ANOTHER load of laundry, it's MY laundry, MY bills, and having a young man depend on me is a great feeling to have...scary sometimes...but great!

    PS, I like the Wacky side of you! You make us smile Sara!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wacky is good, even life giving. It gives this whole adult seriousness a manageable perspective. Miss you. Snow is just about putting me over the edge of "homesickness"...I'm sitting here looking out our upstairs window at the beauty of it all and trying to be thankful. All will be/All is well.

    ReplyDelete