January 29, 2010

Shhhh, don't tell...

I'm all alone, sitting on the couch, watching Jane Austen's Emma on my husband's ridiculously (and deliciously) big screen TV. I've just eaten the biggest bowl of cheerios for dinner (very Seinfeld) and it's so pleasantly perfect. My family is off gallivanting around the state enjoying their wonderful day...all to my great pleasure. Now, don't get me wrong...I love, love, love my husband and children. But, I'll let you in on a little secret...I love being home alone. Tonight I am pretending to not have anything else to do so I can just sit and enjoy my solitude. Aaaaghh, the quiet is intoxicating. I encourage all of busy people out there who are never alone in your own home to make haste...time's a wasting. Schedule some fun for your loved ones...make up an excuse to stay home (let me know if you need help coming up with one)...and enjoy whatever amount of time you have (in your own home) doing whatever makes you happy. Here are a few activity (or sans activity) ideas to get you started...

1. spend 15 minutes napping on each bed in your home...this prepares you for number 2
2. take a wonderfully long, rejuvenating nap in the most comfy bed in the house
3. place every pillow from the house on the floor -- create your own oasis of leisure, comfy blankets only add to the effect
4. store up your favorite shows and movies on DVD or DVR to ensure viewing pleasure the second the front door closes on your family
5. play all those video games your kids (and spouse) play and you never take the time to -- they are fun...plus, you'll seem really cool when you can talk about their favorite games
6. do a puzzle (without "help" from the family)
7. order in even if it's not time to eat -- it's "kind of" like having someone else cook for you and you get to pick what you want with no giving in to anyone else
8. read a book or get a book on audiotape and let the book read to you

Okay, start planning now...because between you and me...I am in alone-time heaven. So, finagle some time and come up with your most luxuriously lazy alone-time non-activity.

Sorry, gotta run...got some me-time on the agenda. And, remember, it's just between you and me.

1 comment:

  1. I hope they were chocolate cheerios! I am home alone this moment and enjoying every minute.....sometimes I think we might have come from the same gene pool decades apart. :) You always make me smile. Compile these into a book! You can be a famous teacher AND author!

    ReplyDelete