January 29, 2010

Whoever said no more excuses never met me...

My sister and I decided to work out together. Yes, she lives over 120 miles away! But, I decided I can't do it by myself...I'm so not motivated to work out. And, yes, I know I'm a certified fitness instructor...this rubs it in even more that I can get others to exercise, but not myself. Since I don't have anyone here to work out with, I asked my sister to work out with me. She agreed...hooray! We haven't figured out the logistics, but it basically means we will hold each other accountable. I need someone to get on me to work out...and, it can't be my husband. He has an innate ability to work out on his own...this drives me crazy! I would rather scrub the bathroom toilet than go work out. Don't get me wrong...I know the importance of exercise and I feel great while I'm doing it. But, the getting there is so hard! I kept thinking that a treadmill in our house was the answer, but I think it would just collect dust, or clothing, or become a plaything for the kids. That's a lot of $$ to spend on a clothes rack. So, I am back to the gym....aaargh! I went on Wednesday night and had a great run with some weights and plyometrics. It's now Friday and I so don't want to go. The time is quickly creeping nearer and already my head is full of excuses why I shouldn't go. Here's a few I've considered...

* It's 9 degrees outside -- a sweaty body out in this cold could cause major illness or even death!
* I have so much to do -- laundry, dishes, writing lesson plans, a toilet to scrub
* I forgot my water bottle -- the time it takes to continuously refuel my body with water at a drinking fountain negates the time I would actually be exercising
* I forgot my iPod -- leaving me the impossible decision of which cable channel to watch on my very own tv screen on my treadmill -- an endless decision that would, again, negate the time I would be there
* My butt is so comfy right here -- it's a lot of work to go exercise -- there's the standing up, putting on my coat, getting in the car, parking, walking into the gym, pushing the automatic door button, putting my coat in a locker, pushing the elevator button for the third floor (why take the stairs when there's an elevator?), actually doing the exercise, and then repeating the process...so much work--ugh!
* I might strain a muscle -- which means I wouldn't be able to fully participate in this weekend's activities with my family
* I might meet some hunky man working out who decides he needs to take me to Jamaica for a romantic getaway leaving my family in the lurch till he leaves me high and dry for another woman -- what would my family do without me until I return?

Oh, the reasons NOT to work out far outweigh the reasons TO work out. But, then I'd have to lie to my sister (which I am very good at, btw) about exercising and that would negate the whole "will you work out with me" thing we've set up. Ugh! What's a lazy girl to do? I know. I know...ugh -- fine...I'll just go work out. But, only because I have to...not because I want to!

*************3 hours later***************
I did it...under duress and only because I had to. I believe I broke my toe, my throat is parched, I must have pulled at least 145 muscles, I'm dehydrated, won't be able to move at all tomorrow and will need at least a week to recuperate. So, I hope you're happy. I did it. And, now until next time...I'm off to think of more excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment