February 2, 2010

I'm way too old to be embarrassed...or, am I?

As the kids would say...I totally biffed it yesterday on the driveway. For us older folks, this translates to "I slipped on the ice and fell flat on my back." I know, all you ice-mavens are asking why I wasn't doing the penguin shuffle? For those of you with little to no experience walking on ice this is that goofy-looking walk that really should be categorized as a slide rather than a walk since you barely lift your feet (think 95 year old nursing home resident shuffling down the hallway). I'll admit I was in an infantile huff over something (what was that about, anyway?) and neglected everything I've learned from my lifetime of winter experience. Despite knowing that a slick patch of ice was lurking under the snow by the front steps, I was doing more stomping than walking, stepped right on that ice and landed on my back catching my ribs on the corner of the bottom step...[insert your sympathy here]. Ugh!

As I lay on the driveway in full view of all God's creation for a few minutes gathering myself together and assessing the damage to my aching body (I was only bruised, thank heavens), my thoughts gave rise to the embarrassment factor. Since I spent most of my younger years embarrassed by everything, I had thought I was over this. But, I couldn't decide if I wanted someone to come upon me and offer their assistance or if the situation was just too embarrassing. The aches, wet, and cold are quickly multiplying and all I can do is argue with myself over why, if at all, I should be embarrassed. I am an adult and falls happen to everyone. There really should be no embarrassment at all. But, there I lay...contemplating the need for help versus having someone see me in such a predicament. Will I never grow up? Why is it that we get embarrassed over something we have no control over? Or, did I? Maybe I was more embarrassed that I wouldn't have fallen at all were I not being immature and sulking.

So, my lesson for this week is...okay, my lessons (plural) for the week are: 1) think twice about throwing a tantrum--they never get you anywhere, and may just get you bruised up; 2) if you fall, either get yourself up or call for help--laying on the cold snowy driveway arguing with yourself is futile and only makes you more miserable; 3) the pain from a fall is far worse on day two; and 4) you are never to old to be embarrassed, but pick and choose when to allow it--walking around with your skirt tucked up into your pantyhose, thereby showing your bum to your coworkers is embarrassing - falling on a patch of ice isn't.

And, yes, I have experienced number 4...it was embarrassing and reason number #459 why no one should wear pantyhose anymore...they are an embarrassment opportunity just waiting to happen.

2 comments:

  1. Great story! Sara, is there anything you aren't good at??? :)

    I send you my sympathy [inserted here]... :) I had the same thing happen about a week ago. I also went through the 'to be or not to be embarrassed' battle in my head. Thankfully it wasn't nearly as embarrassing as when I was a kid, but I was a lil' bit embarrassed...nonetheless... And no, I don't think we grow out of it... Or, at least, I hope we don't! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hence the reason why I quit wearing pantyhose years ago. :-) Seriously, though, I'm glad you didn't break anything...the bones get brittle as we age, dontcha know...

    ReplyDelete