February 8, 2010

Where have all my "friends" gone?

So, tonight I was procrastinating--again [insert eye-roll here]. I know...I think someone put a curse on me to always be a procrastinator. Anyway - I clicked over to Facebook [again with the eye-roll]. As I scanned down my list of friend updates, I felt like I was seeing the same people again and again. Yes, there were the regular posters and an equal amount that never post anything. But, beyond those...where were the rest of my 150 friends? (I know--you can't believe I have 150 friends--me either).

Then, I remembered...and, I felt a small pang of guilt...I had "hidden" them. You know---hiding is when you decide you can't do the mature thing and unfriend someone that offends or irritates you so you just hide them. They don't know and the "friend"ship continues unscathed. Well, once I searched around a bit, I found a list of all the "friends" I had hidden...32 to be exact. That's [insert your own math here] percent of my 150 total. I know...shame on me. (If there was a distinction between "good" and "bad" friends on FB, I would definitely be questionable.) But, then I couldn't remember why I had hidden them in the first place. So, I unhid them all.

[fast forward two hours]

While working diligently, I took a "peak" over to Facebook (peaking is not really procrastinating, right?)...And, my FB wall is packed with "______ was just tagged [insert picture of cleavage]" or "I can't believe ______. She is such a ________." and some things I can't even say out loud. Good grief, Charlie Brown. NOW I remember why I hid them. Ugh! You may say that I am being judgmental and elitest...you'd be correct. My time and wall space are valuable and your drama need not clog the system.

On the other hand, Facebook is a wonderful kind of craziness...it's a free for all and that's why I love it. I love hearing about your beer-brewing antics, your standing in line at grocery store, the funny thing your kid just said. I love that you share music, videos, and links to some wild stuff. And, I love to cheer you on as you lose weight, support your favorite team, or need to rant about the weather. But, if I want to look at cleaveage, I have my own and I know that ________ is a total ________. Needless to say, I have re-started the process of hiding "friends."

Now...this may leave you pondering two questions:

1) Why don't I just unfriend them? I am way too immature for that. And, I wouldn't want them to think I'm unfriendly and don't want to be their friend (even though we aren't really friends at all).

and

2) Have I hidden you? Hmmmm....shown any cleavage lately?

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, Sara, I'm not sure I know how to "hide" friends.....you may need to enlighten me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got really tired of Farmville bonus points, etc. and dissed that person into hiding :). I like real and meaty stuff!

    ReplyDelete